Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Horror Film Review

A couple of things I have to mention. I saw Open Graves this past weekend. I also saw Sherlock Holmes. Guess which one I'm going to talk about? Now, it wasn't a bad horror movie, but how can you try to incorporate elements of Jumanji, Final Destination, time travel, and surfing and hope to hit a bullseye? Even Spielberg couldn't do that. What they ended up with was not so much a horror movie as a curiosity. It didn't scare me, the game part was a bit silly, and the love story just plain annoying. But...decent production values and acting, the story ultimately became interesting, and there were some genuinely creepy bits. If you decide to watch it, listen carefully to the radio in tanker truck as it careens out of control. Freaky.   Rating:  3 out of 5

Now for some exciting news. While scrolling through the list of On Demand movies on my DVR, I discovered the new George A. Romero "Dead" movie. It's called Survival of the Dead and is being offered via On Demand before coming out elsewhere. Reviews, so far as I can tell, are mixed, but name me a Romero film where they're not. The premise is intriquing: sort of a Hatfields and McCoys thing where one family wants the zombies wiped out and the other thinks they should keep them prisoner and wait for a cure. I did not shell out the $9.99 my cable company wanted for it, so I'll have to wait for the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment