Sunday, August 8, 2010

Horror Film Review


Afterlife (2009): You would think a horror movie starring Liam Neeson, Christina Ricci, and Justin Long would have shown up on my radar before now. Because it hadn't, I was wary. I needn't have been. Pardon my language, but this is one excellent mindfuck film. Ricci fights with boyfriend Long, drives off in a huff, crashes and dies. Or does she? That's what you'll spend an hour and a half trying to figure out. It's been quite a while since a horror movie surprised me as much as this one did from the standpoint that I couldn't predict the next twist in the story. Neeson is wonderfully reserved as the funeral director who is gifted with the ability to communicate with the dead. Ricci is just right as the slightly unbalanced school teacher who may or may not be dead, and Long has got the grieving boyfriend act down to a science. There is some blood but no hardcore gore so those of you with a weak stomach have no excuse to miss it. Not that it could possibly matter to one such as myself, but I should mention that you will see Christina Ricci fully naked for quite a while in this movie (and not just lying on a slab in the morgue either). The ending? Oh, there's no way I'll even hint at how it ends. I will say they did it right. Should you see it? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment