Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Horror Film Review


The Broken (2009): Ever wonder what dwells on the other side of a mirror? Could it be that the reverse image of you has been waiting for an opportunity to climb into our world and wreak havoc? Well, sure. Why not? This movie is a dark, tension-laden puzzle that is more suspense than horror in the same vein as a Hitchcock thriller. So even though the gratuitous gore is at a minimum, you'll find yourself jumping out of your skin when a mirror breaks. The acting is subdued and controlled and works to heighten the desperation you begin to feel. I'm told by some that they had figured out the twist well before the climax. I pride myself on my ability to do that. In this movie, however, I never saw it coming. So...the ending? Beautifully done. My advice? Watch it when you're able to dedicate your full attention to the screen.

Rating:  4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment