Thursday, August 26, 2010

Devil...


I caught a movie trailer on TV the other night that made me sit up and take notice. I thought nothing could surprise me anymore in horror, especially the story. Now, it was just a two-minute preview but I couldn't for the life of me think of another film that had tried anything similar. Before I get into the story, I want to mention that I occasionally believe in kismet. You know, diverse threads of your life coming together to form a harmony that cannot be ignored. This is what I'm talking about: the day before I caught the trailer, I caught Signs on Encore. I had forgotten what an excellent film it is. A pre-psychotic Mel Gibson is excellent. A pre-psychotic Jaoquin Phoenix is excellent. And pre-pubescent Rory Culkin and Abigail Breslin are also excellent. Not to mention a pre-sucking M. Night Shyamalam as writer and director.

So the trailer...the name of the movie is Devil. It's written and produced by Shyamalan, but not directed. Maybe The Last Airbender was the final straw for the studios. Anyway, a group of folks with seemingly nothing in common get stuck together on an elevator. The twist? One of them is the devil. Oh, yeah. The director. It's the same guy, John Erick Dowdle, who directed Quarantine, one of my favorite non-zombie zombie flicks. I probably wouldn't be quite as excited if Shyamalan was the director, but we all know the man is talented so I'm willing to give him another chance. Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment